Adventure China

By: Kevin

Email: Kevin.o83@gmail.com

URL: myspace.com/fathead024

Skype: okie.83


**This is more a personal journal for me to document my experiences in China, but I also want to keep people up-to-date and give insight on a different culture. I want to apologize in advance if I offend anyone or piss anyone off in any way. This blog will be, for the most part, uncensored and raw. If your scared about what you might read and/or find out about me, my life, and my views hit the x button at the top right corner now....otherwise enjoy :)
**PLEASE leave comments.. I dont know your reading unless you comment.. If you want to know something, have a question, or just want to respond please do/ask.. no such thing as BAD feedback..

Digg!

Favorite quotes

" Always shoot for the moon, because even if you miss you'll land among the stars"
-unknown


" Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor"
-unknown

" The path to truth is long, and lined the entire way by annoying bastards"
- Alexander Jablokov

" The best way to succeed in this world is to act on the advice you give to others"
-unknown

" Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don’t have a good partner, you’d better have a good hand"
-Woody Allen



Sanya, Hainan for Chinese New Year

Published by O-CO under on 15:31

Wow, what an amazing place the island of Hainan is! I didnt get to do all I wanted bc of time and money restrictions but I will definitely be back there soon. I was planning to take a bus or a train down, about a 20 hr journey, but since everyone and their mama travels during this week I heard many horror stories about delays and cancellations with bus and train schedules. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy a plane ticket for triple what it would have cost me to train or bus it down. Hence my money restrictions. It was about 300 US dollars to fly and it took a little over an hour.

I arrived in Sanya, Hainan around 9pm to find the airport busy as shit! It was cool though bc the Chinese are on top of the baggage system so everyone got their luggage really fast and in an orderly fashion. I was worried going into it. After I got my pack I went outside to find a taxi to take me to the hostel I was staying at. They all wanted a lot of money, bc during this week the prices for everything at least doubles, I mean everything! I finally talked one guy down to a fairly reasonable price of 50RMB or 7.5 dollars. At 9pm in the evening it was warm and humid, just the way I like it. What a change from the colder Guilin. Im already lovin it I thought to myself. The taxi ride was cool bc it reminded me of Miami going through a clean new looking city with tropical plants and palm trees everywhere. There were tons of people out and about eating and drinking in the streets. This is not typical for Chinese to drink and lay back having fun out in the open. Nice to see. They are usually more reserved and keep this part of their lives to themselves. I arrived at the hostel to find a group of guys drinking outside loud having fun. Before checking in a finding my room I started playing drinking games with them. Then the owner of the hostel, Peter I find out later, comes out and asks if anyone wants any drugs. Of course we all say yes and he hands us a small package with a chewy nut in it called bettlenut. You chew it for about ten minutes and you get a natural high feeling, your cheeks turn red and you get warm and tingly. Its a local fruit nut he explained. Tastes like mint kinda. It was ok, not really drugs. I finally check in and find my room is packed with backpacks and stuff everywhere, typical hostel dorm room. 10 beds. That night we sat around drinking and talking about what the plan was for tomorrow. I already had 10 new friends, my kinda hostel.

Day 1

It turned out to be overcast and rainy my first day in Sanya, which sucked at first, but we made the best of it. We all got up a little late once we looked outside and didnt see the sun shining. Some of us decided to go into town and find the big seafood market. We learned that if we went and bought a bunch of food the chef at the hostel would cook it for us at 10UN a plate. Cheap as hell we though so thats what we did. We jumped a bus for 1UN and went to the market. What a crazy place it was. They sold everything there! Any seafood you could imagine and some you probably cant. All types of squid even some 3 foot long. Maybe 10 diff types of crabs and tons of diff shrimp. Snails from the size of a penny to some the size of my head, and its a fat one. You could buy everything still alive or already dead and cleaned. Of course we bought the live shit. They had all types of fish, even tropical ones like green parrot fish and poisonous lion fish. Crazy! We found huge sharks where they were selling the parts off of them. This market also sold all kinds of meats and animals as well as all the fresh vegetables and fruits. It was a cool ass place! There were 10 of us that went and we bought 500 RMB worth of shrimp, crabs, squid, clams, oysters, and some whole fish all alive. The chef at the hostel cooked all of it for 100UN so all in all it was 60UN a piece for a serious seafood feast. I even taught them how to open the oysters and eat them raw, it was cool.







That night all of us went out to some of the clubs with the chef guy, he took us around all night. The first club had a trampoline type floor so when everyone jumped together you could get really high and it was sweet. Soo many girls came up to us wanting to dance and come around with us, we got mad numbers. Even got a kiss from one of the dancer/singer girls. Unexpected. The 2nd club was bigger and more crowded, I wound up meeting some guy and he gave my table 12 free beers, awesome. We stayed until 5 am.

Day2

I woke up on day 2 at 8am bc some Chinese people staying in my room dont understand the hostel etiquette. They were talking loud and making a lot of noise. ahh Oh well a couple hours of sleep wont hurt anyone. At least it was a beautiful day outside so a diff group of us decided to take a bus to a beautiful beach about an hour away. More secluded and less crowded. It was amazing. The water was crystal clear and I even seen some angel fish swimming around with each other.







The bay was called Yalong Bay. Its cool being on a tropical beach with mountains around falling into the ocean with palm trees everywhere. I love it! There is an island a mile off shore that you can take boats to and see fish and sea life we were told, but they wanted too much money to do it so we didnt. They also rent jet skis and you can go para gliding or wind surfing, all beach activities. From this beach you can go reef diving for around 100US dollars for a couple hours. I seen some of the reef pics and WOW its a serious reef. Probably one of the cheapest places in the world someone could see this level reef. Talk about acropora and anemones, clown fish, tangs, and angels, crazy. I put on a little too much sunscreen so my tan suffered for it, but at least I wasnt burnt like the people I went with, they looked like lobsters. That night we all had dinner at a beachfront restaurant. I had seafood rice in a huge giant clam shell, delicious! We ended up playing drinking games with liquor and finished off 4 bottles between 8 of us before we hit the clubs again. What a crazy night that was. At one point there were 15 of us foreigners and 10 other Chinese girls on stage dancing. Everyone thought it was the best thing since sliced bread so they all started taking pictures, even thought the club doesnt allow it. Through out the whole night girls would come up wanting us to pose for pics with them. It got a little annoying after a while, but it was fun. We got home at 6am.

Day 3

I woke up around 11 this morning to find out that this black dude from the Bronx that was with us last night broke 30 glasses at the club bc he was soo drunk. Then when he got to his hostel room, pissed on the floor all over peoples bags and shit! What a f-in mess. They were all pissed at him, as you could imagine and he didnt seem to care too much. I told him he better leave and find a new hostel before something happened, and he did. He was the laugh of the town for the whole week.

Today was another overcast and cloudy day so a couple of us guys decided to go to a 300 meter waterfall which we found out was about 2 hrs away. It was supposed to be really beautiful in the middle of rain forest and what not. We hopped on a bus that was way overcrowded and the driver kept stopping for more people. We were packed in like sardines. About 20 mins until the town where we thought the waterfall was the driver told everyone who was standing to kneel down bc the police were ahead. When I say packed in like sardines thats what I mean, people were on others laps, standing all over the place, it was a little ridiculous. So bc he over packed the bus the police would stop him and fine him for all the extra people and kick them off. Guess what happened.....They did! There were 20 people over the legal limit and he got 100 RMB fine for each one!! ahah. We got kicked off and had to find motorbike taxis the rest of the way. It took us 30 mins, 3 diff Chinese people including a police officer to negotiate a fair price with the moto guys. Our day was going downhill fast, but we couldnt stop laughing the whole way about everything, I was delirious from the night before. Finally we arrived at the bus station where we learned we had to take another bus another 2hrs before we get to the falls. We were like "what the fuck?!" Then we learned that the last bus back to Sanya was at 530 and it was 2 o'clock. There was noo way we could make it. We were pissed but laughed anyway. We decided to go to a rain forest nature reserve a little closer by up the mountains. There are mountains in the shape of five fingers that you can see from the reserve. This bus ride was about 45 mins through small villages and really cool forest and cliffs. They rode wound around sharp cliffs and edges, through mountains and rain forest, it was an awesome ride. The mountains were like leaking water from the top bc there were small waterfalls everywhere running onto the road. You could look in the trees and see bromilliads growing on them. It was a really thick forest. I just wanted to go get lost in it and find some amphibians and reptiles. We arrived at a small village where we took more motorbike the rest of the way up the mountain trail to the reserve. This village had cows, pigs, and chickens roaming the streets, typical in China but fun for us. 20 mins later we arrive at the gate to pay for the ticket into the reserve 15UN. We paid jumped back on the bikes and headed the final leg of our journey, so we thought. We get to the bottom of another walking trail that takes you up the mountain to the top where, if it wasnt overcast you could see Hainan landscape and this five finger shit. They told us it takes 3 hrs to hike to the top! WHAT THE FLYING FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!! We thought. We didnt have anytime for that. Actually we had to hed back just to make our bus back to Sanya. We laughed and all decided to take a piss at the base of this mountain together. Laughing the whole time. All the Chinese around though it was funny and started taking pics of us. The motorbike guys though it was great and didnt charge us for the trip up. They took us back to the village with the farm animals everywhere. I wanted to catch a little piggy or chicken so I had my friend film me running after them. Never got one but I got close to a chicken. They pig squealed like a little bitch and his fat ass hog mom came out of no where and chased me down the road. No shit! It was scary as hell. I though that bitch was gonna get me at first. I turned around and seen this angry fucking pig hauling ass towards me with the little shit piggy behind her. He though he was big shit with his mom in front of him. Of course the village people were all pointed and laughing at this foreigner being chased by a fucking pig on main street of their village. Thank God the bus finally came to take us back to the other bus which would tak us back to Sanya. Ahh We finally got back around 7pm. This was the day trip from hell but we all had fun anyway and seen some cool Hainan landscape and back country others dont get to see.

That night I learned how to play a Chinese game called Magong. Its really popular with older people and they bet a lot for money on it. Its played with domino looking pieces but the strategy is like poker and rummy. Its hard to explain and hard to learn, but mad fun to play. We played for long time until some of us decided to throw down and buy the most expensive firework we could get and light it off on the beach. 500RMB was the most and the thing weighed like 50 lbs. It was serious! We got everyone we could find and lit that bitch right on the beach. It shot 24 huge ass shots waaay into the sky making the loudest bangs and craziest shit Ive seen that you could actually buy in a store. They were like professional one from back home, really. The beach filled up with people watching it.

Later that night some of us went back to 88 club and the manager girl gave us a free bottle of goose with OJ. I think she has a crush on me bc she wouldnt leave me alone, asking me all types of questions. Little too clingy for me even though she was cute. I pushed her off to my friend who wound up hooking up with her. haha.

Guys have a lot more of a fashion sense here for sure. Girls do too I guess. They actually try to match. The clothes arent really that corny or out dated like other places in China. Its nice to see. Only problem is all the Gucci, Versace, and all designer shit is fake as hell, still looks good but fake. I had my Versace shades and could just leave them sitting anywhere bc people thought they were fake too and noone would steal some cheap ass fake glasses, it was funny.

Its waay too easy for a foreign guy to pull a hot chick in China. You see these fat ugly guys with hot Chinese girls all the time. Its kinda sad and it turns me off fast. Im the kinda guy who likes the chase when it comes to finding a girl. If the girl is over interested, clingy, easy, or something like that I loose interest fast. (This prob isnt the smartest thing to post in my blog) Finding and getting together with hot women should be a challenge in my eyes, I guess maybe bc Ive never been the most confident guy in the world, but yea it has to be somewhat challenging for me. In China its not so I dont even pursuit any girls. If I approach a girl whos hot as hell she usually gets waay too shy and flustered at first and after some small talk she becomes waay too into me. Unless Im shit faced drunk I make up an excuse to walk away. I have a small bag with phone numbers in it that I havent even dialed for this reason. Its sad, but Im waiting for the right one. I look for the girls that pay me no attention when I walk in or who dont look my direction at all, its hard to find being foreign, but what ev.

Anyway I had to play bouncer at 88 this night bc some drunk ass old Russian guy got kicked out and kept trying to come back in and all the Chinese bouncers were to scared to stop him so the manager girl came and got me. I was a little lit up so it sounded fun. I found him with 4 Chinese guys in bullet proof jackets holding him back. I went up to him and tried to explain that if the cops came he would go to jail get his visa ripped up and who knows what else. He didnt want to hear it so I told the manager to tell the bouncers to let him go and I grabbed his arms behind his back and put him in a head lock hold. He was soo drunk he almost fell over but I held him up. He and I both knew he was too drunk to fight me, but if he werent I would have gotten my ass kicked probably. I walked him down the street still in a head lock with his arms behind his back until we got away from the club. I again tried to talk sense into him but no luck. He kept tryin to go back to the club. Then he started with the whole 'dont tell me what to do' and 'if you do that again ill...' He started to get violent and pushed me a couple times in the chest. I had to do something and didnt want to punch the drunk bastard so I pulled some Karate shit and threw him on the ground, got on top of him with my knee in his chest and told him this was the last time I was gonna tell him and try to help him stay out of jail. I also said if he tried to retaliate and hit me there would be a big problem for him. He agreed that he would get up and walk away so I let him up and he did. Everyone that worked at the club was outside watching the whole thing I found out when I turned around. They were even taking pics I learned. They all were soo thank full and told me when ever I came back I could have a free bottle of whatever I wanted. Jack, Goose, Chivas... Flattering. Sucks because I only had one more night in Sanya. The clubs closed and we walked with the management to the taxis. We went and had BBQ before going to bed, I had 3 small little birds on a stick. They were the size of finches and looked like mini chickens. You eat them whole bones and all. Weird, but delicious. Home around 630 What a night.

Day 4

I finally got a solid 6 hrs of sleep last night thank God. Woke up around 12ish, ate a salad for lunch with an American friend working in Beijing. Then we bought some fruit and hit the beach with another dude from Canada. It was a gorgeous day outside, 78 degrees nice breeze, PERFECT! We talked to the only two Chinese girls in bikinis on the entire beach. They dont wear bikinis here at all normally. It was nice to see some boobs and nice asses for a change, the Jersey shore had me spoiled on that mess. Then some Chinese guys asked if we wanted to play volley ball with them. Ohhh yea!! North America vs China beach volleyball, turned out to be the place to be on the beach that day. Wish I had someone taking pics for me bc the whole court was surrounded with spectaters. It was cool. We completely whooped their ass. I think it was like 30-3. They didnt play the proper way so we just kept the score rolling. It was a lot of fun!

We stayed on the beach all day and even got some beers as the sun went down. There are ladys selling shells and dead coral all over the roads. We asked where they get it from and they find them. The shells are amazing and the acropora that they cut from the reefs are pretty impressive. Its sad seeing perfectly nice acro dead and for sale bc some lady swam down and cut it from the reef. Thats China for you though, they dont mix well with wildlife and they dont understand the preservation word yet. That night we all went back to 88 for our free liquor and sure enough they gave us the best table and free drinks all night. It pays to be nice and do the right thing sometimes. Scratch peoples backs and youll get taken care of. One of the dancer girls I guess heard about the Russian incident last night and came up thanking me. We danced for a while before her gay manager pushed us both up on the stage. Still we danced and then I felt someone behind me on my ass. Who do you think?? One guess.. Come on. The gay dude of course. Son of a bitch! He was from France too, which makes it a little worse, no offense France. She thought it was great so she spun me around and made me dance with him ('yea right you liked it'- Im sure your thinkin) The crowd liked it though. I was seriously like a freakin celebrity in this 88 club after the last 3 nights. If I go back to Sanya to study Chinese I know Ill have a job there. Bouncer would be awesome. Getting paid to throw drunk Chinese guys out of the club, how sick is that?! Through out the night girls would come up to us guys and I would get this look from the gay guy, like; 'I just sent them over, dance with them, they will go home with you' Thats what I got from it at least. Again I lost interest fast. Another long night with BBQ little birds before bed, yummy. Im like a monster eating all this weird shit over here. Home around 530

Day 5

Today I had to leave Sanya to go to the capital of Hainan, Haikou to catch plane back to Guilin. :'''( How sad. The bus ride to Haikou was cool though, 3 hrs from the most southern part of China to the north of the island. Oh yea, Sanya is the farthest south Ive ever traveled and its the very bottom of China, soo close to Vietnam and Laos. Same longitude as Hawaii, I think Ive said that already. Hainan is like the fruit capital of China I think. They grow every fruit here I think. Weird shit too. The bananas are amazing and they even have mini ones. They have like 5 diff types of mangos, some the size of baseballs. Durian and leechies are good too. There are fruit stands and markets everywhere you turn, its great! Of and coconut trees everywhere through out the city. You can just knock them down and eat them if you find one. On the bus trip to Haikou I saw all the farm and acres and acres of land they plant these crops on. Its amazing the space and size of these farms and to think they do it all by hand or by animal. They use every possible square inch of space for their feild. I saw an old house with plants and trees of some crop growing out the doors and windows, cool to see. Couldnt get a pic though.

I decide since it was the Chinese New Year and the price for everything was at least double I would hold off on all the tourist stuff that people do when they come to Sanya. Like diving, hot springs where fish eat the dead skin off your body, the end of the earth park, monkey island, ect. I am planning to go back and study Chinese next summer after I vist home for a while so I can do it all then a lot cheaper. Also since I bought the plane ticket I had to stretch my money quite thin. It was perfect though jsut relaxing and kicking it on the beach when it was nice outside. And to think this month is the coldest month in Sanya. I was in shorts and a t-shirt the whole trip, at least just shorts if I was on the beach. It really was paradise, reminded me a lot of the island on LOST if anyone got into that show. Looked identical. I wouldnt be surprised if they filmed it on Hainan. Ill have to check that out. Or at least somewhere over on this side of the world. I didnt see the black smoke monster though or run into Sayid or Locke running through the woods, but then again I didnt go exploring like I wanted to. Sanya you were great! Ill be back for sure mark my words.

Sorry its such a long post, had some catching up to do. I didnt proof read it so I apolizige for mistakes in grammar or spelling.


 
 
Academics Blogs - Blog Top Sites